Thursday, January 21, 2016

Happy New Years......Three Weeks Late

Hey everyone!

Well I first want to say thank you to everyone who reads this because I just recently hit over one thousand views on the blog. When I started this I never thought that I would hit this many readers so I just want to say thank you all and I hope the new years will bring more stories that you want to read about.

Now that's out of the way I need to address something else I haven't posted anything for a bit. Well more like three weeks and it's because of a massive travel spell, so now it's time to update you all. I hope to not leave so much of a gap from when I post. So thanks for not getting on my case for an update, so for now on I'll try and make then a regular thing.

So the last time I wrote to you all was christmas day, so I'll pick up from there and see what I can fill you all in on. I guess this post will start on Boxing day and again we ventured out into the city, Mama Liz, Ed, and myself. We took the tubes from Greenwich to all the way to Westminster once again, but this time we ended up getting off at a different stop. And after a short walk we ended up in front of one of the most noticed buildings in the UK as well as the World, Buckingham Palace.


It's amazing to see something that has so much history as that Palace has in the scheme of things. That building is older than my country! (I've found myself saying that time and time again since I've been over here.) But once we say that Mama Liz was on a mission to see Harrods, so we made the walk from Buckingham Palace to the famous Harrods, seeing embassy upon embassy on the way there and not to mention a Ferrari dealership. But we made your way there, but when we got there no one cared to tell us that Boxing day in the UK is like Black Friday back in the US. Needless to say it was a madhouse, but we managed to fight the crowd to get the the Tea Room that Mama Liz wanted to eat at. We had some great tea's and then we headed back to Greenwich to call it a day.


The next day we ended up seeing Trafalgar Square, and we began to go through the museums. First it was the National Gallery where we saw some Van Goghs in person, and sat in front of the same painting that Bond did in Skyfall. (For those Bond fans you know what one I'm talking about.) After that we made our way to the British Museum to see some really amazing artifacts, but before we did that we found a restaurant that I haven't seen since I left and we stopped right when I saw the words "Chipotle", on the door. Once we were filled with mexican food we made our way to the British museum and then made our way back to Greenwich, but not after having a pint or two along the way.


  The next day all three of us were up early and we made our way over to see the London Tower, and for those of you who don't know that's where the Crown Jewels are, but with the line so long we didn't get a chance to see them. But we did manage to take a boat cruise of the Thames, but not after seeing Tower Bridge and all of its glory. But after our cruise we wandered around Westminster till we got tired and then we headed back to Greenwich.


Again the next day we all got up early to get our day off on the right foot. As Mama Liz and Ed got breakfast, I went to a local barber in Greenwich and got my haircut, which was probably the best cut I've gotten so far since I've been here. But then once again after breakfast we went back into the city. This time we ended up going to see Churchill's War rooms, which was a very interesting experience to learn the history of the UK from that time period. We also saw 10 Downing street, but didn't get a chance to see the Prime Minister though. But after all the fun and games in Westminster we got back on the tubes and headed to West London to see Fulham FC take on Rotherham United in a league fixture. It was Mama Liz and Ed's first proper football match and it didn't disappoint at all. it was a five goal thriller seeing Fulham come out on top. At the end of the match we saw how close the stadium was to the Thames and it was beautiful. We hurried back because the next day I had to get up super early to pick Haley up from the airport.

So I got up at the crack of dawn and made my tube journey to Heathrow to get Haley, and once I got her we headed back to drop off her stuff to head back into the city to explore. We went back to see all the places that I had seen earlier in the week, but I didn't care because Haley loved every minute of it. But we headed back to Greenwich and called it a night. The next day was New Year's Eve Day, so we went back into london (see the theme here), and we ended up in King's Cross Station and got a little wizardly as we saw platform 9 3/4, and from there we went to Piccadilly Circus so Haley could get her Hunter boots. But we walked around the Piccadilly area for a bit, then headed back to Greenwich where we had dinner and went out to celebrate the New Year. We went to the bar called the Gypsy Moth and right before 12 we went to the Thames and saw the London sky light up with fireworks.


The next morning Mama Liz and Ed flew back to Florida and me and Haley made our way down to Plymouth. Needless to say my time in London was great, but there was still more trips to come which I will get to those in my next post. But that was the holidays here in the UK. It was a lot of fun and I hope you all had great holidays as well. I will keep you all posted on the rest of my adventures as the following weeks progress. But as always have a great day, and keep smiling!

-Tucker 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment