Saturday, April 16, 2016

Välkommen till Sverige (Welcome to Sweden)


Hello Everyone,

So it's been a bit since I updated you all on my travels. I have since made it back to Plymouth and I'm gearing up for the rest of my studies here, and getting ready to handover my Enactus project. So it's easy to say that things here are winding down, however I want to update you all on where I was about a week ago.

Stockholm, Sweden,



So when I said my final seeya laters to my family the night of my flight, I got ready to fly to Stockholm via Reykjavik, Iceland. I felt very anxious on the flight from Boston to Reykjavik. I think it was because I was leaving family, and they were leaving and I won't see them until they get back home. And to add to that the language barrier in Sweden I thought would make my trip difficult, so I read a Swedish phrasebook all the way to Stockholm. When I landed in Reykjavik I didn't see much of the city due to the fact that city was so far away from the airport, however I did see the snow covered mountains that are everywhere on the island and it was beautiful. I made a mental know that I will be back. I did manage to get an Icelandic stamp in my passport because I entered the Schengen Area via Iceland.

But after the short two hour flight I finally made it to Stockholm. It was super easy to get through the customs area after my flight there and then it was buying a quick return train ticket to get me to and from the airport. And finally I was on my way to the city. It only took about twenty minutes to get to the city from the airport, and after getting a city map I managed to make my way to my hostel. The walk to my hostel made me begin my love affair with this city. I was walking right along the water that separated the Gamla Stan (Old Town) from the rest of mainland Stockholm. I managed to find my hostel and to my surprise I had a beautiful view of the Gamla Stan and the Royal Palace across the water.
 
After getting situated at my hostel I managed to fall asleep even though the plan was to go out and explore. It seemed my body had other plans. It was around now that I realized that all the signs and the people here spoke some level of english, and my fear of not being able to understand anyone or being able to talk to someone faded away. Throughout my time in Stockholm I tried my hand at swedish that's why I woke up the next day with my phrase book on my chest.

After getting some sleep back from the flights and short fight with jet lag, I was up early the next day and headed out to explore what Stockholm has to offer. My first stop was the Vasamuseet. For those of you who don't know it is a museum dedicated to the Vasa, a Swedish naval ship that sank after fifteen minutes at sea taking about 30 people with her. The ship as be restored and it really is a sight for anyone going to Stockholm. Shortly after I left the museum I went on the hunt for food, and ended up at a place called the östermalms saluhall which is this giant food hall in the middle of the city. After my senses were attacked with so many delicious smells I managed to get some food and a great cup of Swedish coffee.

Shortly after lunch I made my way to the Gamla Stan and when exploring I found the Nobel Prize Museum. I ended up going to the Nobel Prize Museum (I totally forgot the award started in Sweden), and I was put back a step after seeing some of the things accomplished by these Nobel Prize winners. It made me think if I would ever end up in these halls. After that I managed to do the very touristy thing and get two swedish horses, one for me and one as a gift, and then after that I went back to the hostel for some much needed sleep.

The next day I walked around the Gamla Stan and ventured back into mainland Stockholm, but I couldn't do it long because my online PSU class was calling out to me, because I needed to get work done. This whole trip I had to work on class work due to the fact that PSU's spring break was the week before my trip, and it has been a pain the whole time. I did however see the simplicity of eating at a restaurant alone with just your thoughts. It was quite peaceful. But after that slow day I made a point to spend that next day doing everything I could before I left.


The first thing on that list that I needed to do before I left was get Swedish Meatballs, because I knew if I didn't I would regret it for the rest of my life. So Haley told me about this little place in a part of Stockholm that I hadn't been yet so I went on a little bit of a hunt for some meatballs. I will say that after eating those meatballs, Meatballs for the People make some of the best meatballs I've ever had.


Since my stomach was filled with food I walked around for a bit and after awhile I found myself waiting in line at the Fotografiska (Photo museum) to walk around and see some local photography. Some of the exhibits were amazing! There was a great piece all about the 99% movement that took place in New York City a few years back. Needless to say I wanted to go outside and try and become a photographer myself.

 Favorite Photo of Stockholm: @tucker_moss

But that was my last full day in Stockholm, and I will tell you all about my last morning there when I write my next post about were I went after my journey took me to Stockholm. Some of you reading this already know what happened, but I'll tell you all again soon. But that is my story so far, and I just want to take a second and wish safe travels to both my Dad, and my Step-Mother on their trips and I hope to see you both soon. Kate, just keep being good. But I will write again soon, and remember be safe and have fun.

-Tucker  

No comments:

Post a Comment